All cars and lorries produced considering that 1973 should be fitted with front and rear safety belts. Vehicles manufactured prior to that date, did not need to have seat belts but if they have been retrofitted, they have to be put on.
What is the penalty for not wearing a seat belt?
Generally dealt with using a Fixed Penalty Notice (₤ 100.00 penalty) but lugs an optimum penalty of ₤ 500.00. It is not endorsable.
Who is in charge of guaranteeing that occupants wear seat belts?
Front Seat / Back Seat / Responsible
- If fitted Driver, Driver Seat belt should be worn
- If fitted Driver, Driver Seat belt should be used
- Kid under 3 Correct youngster restraint need to be used Correct youngster restraint have to be used.
- Might travel unrestrained Driver if one is not readily available in a taxi
- Kid from 3rd birthday up to 135 centimeters in height (or 12th birthday celebration whichever they reach first)
- Correct child seats or belts have to be used. Correct youngster restraint needs to be utilized where Seat belts fitted. * Driver.
- Kid 12/13, or over 135 centimeters in height – Seat belt must be worn if fitted – Seat belt should be worn if fitted – Driver.
- Adult Passengers – Seat belts have to be used if fitted – Seat belt must be worn if fitted – Passenger.
* Must use adult belt in back seat if right kid restriction not readily available:.
In a taxi;.
For brief distance in an unanticipated necessity;.
If two busy child restrictions prevent a third.
Who is exempt from putting on safety belt?
Some motorists are exempt on either various other or medical grounds. The former, will need a medical certificate from a doctor, the latter consist of:.
A person utilizing a lorry created or adjusted for the shipment of products or mail to consumers or addresses while engaged in making regional rounds of shipments or collections, i.e. the motorist is exempt only when participated in the round, not when driving to or from it.
Any kind of vehicle driver accomplishing a manoeuvre that consists of reversing. This means that if you are doing a 3 factor turn, you do not need to wear a safety belt at any point throughout the course of the manoeuvre yet you must use it as quickly as the manoeuvre is concluded.
A certified vehicle driver that is managing the holder of a provisionary permit, whilst that person is doing the manoeuvre defined in the paragraph above.
A certified driving inspector who, by putting on a safety belt during the program of a driving test, may jeopardize himself or any kind of various other individual.
A person riding or driving in an automobile whilst it is being used for fire brigade, Police functions or whilst bring an individual in authorized protection (that individual additionally being exempt).
The motorist of a licensed taxi while using that automobile for looking for hire, addressing a call for hire or carrying a guest for hire.
The chauffeur of a private hire automobile while it is being made use of to lug a guest for hire.
An individual riding in a vehicle, which presents a trade licence, whose journey is for the function of examining or treating a mechanical mistake in the vehicle.
A handicapped person that is putting on a disabled individual’s belt.
A person riding in a car, whilst it is participating in a procession, organised by or in behalf of the Crown.
What is the legislation on child restraints?
“Child restraints” is the collective term for child seats, kid seats, booster seats, booster pillows, the viability of which is figured out by the weight of the youngster. All youngster restraints have to follow UN ECE R44.03 criterion (or succeeding variations e.g. 44.04).
Never use a rear facing child seat in a guest seat fitted with an airbag unless the air bag can has been switched off. The proper seats are as complies with:.
- Seat FacingWeight as well as Age.
- Baby seatsRear– facingFor children approximately 13 kgs.
( approx age birth to 9– 12 months).
- Kid seatsForward facingFor children approximately 9 kgs to 18 kgs.
( approx 9 months to 4 years).
- Booster seatsFor youngsters 15 kgs and up.
( from approx 4 years).
- Booster CushionsFor youngsters from 22 kgs.
( from approx 6 years).